Pregnancy massage is beneficial throughout the entire nine months of gestation. However, if you are considered a “high risk pregnancy” it is advisable to discuss with your midwife or physician first. Massage and acupuncture are wonderful alternative ways to alleviate stresses and discomforts experienced during pregnancy, as well as promoting a sense of well being.
Some of the benefits of pregnancy massage include:
- Reduces swelling in the hands and feet
- Helps ease muscle discomfort in areas such as the back, neck and shoulders
- Relieves calf cramps
- Strengthens the immune system
- Helps with relaxation, which in turn decrease insomnia and fatigue
- Promotes circulation to increases oxygen supply to bub and mum, and removes toxin/waste build up
- Helps relieve stress on weight bearing joints such as the knees/ankles
- Helps stabilise hormone levels and lessening anxiety
- Lessens sciatic pain
- Helps reduce swelling in the feet and ankles
- Relieves headaches
- May relieve constipation
Depending where you are in your pregnancy, your therapist may utilise such massage techniques as reflexology, Swedish massage, Remedial Massage, cupping therapy or certain techniques that address your specific needs and requests. Please discuss your preference of treatment when making your appointment.
Pregnancy massage options
Reflexology: It is believed that applying pressure to reflex areas on the feet and hands can help find causes of imbalances and promote health in the corresponding organs through energetic pathways.
Swedish/Relaxation massage: this is a full body treatment with a combination of relaxing deep and superficial tissue massage techniques to relax the mind and body.
Deep Tissue: focuses on deeper tissues to help stretch and relax tight sore muscles. Caution is used in specific areas on pregnant women.
Remedial Massage: focuses on injury, remedial assists in the removal of tension build up and scarring deep within the muscles.
Trigger Point: most often this method is used in conjunction with other massage techniques, trigger point massage is specifically targeted at tension sites
Depending on the condition being treated will depend on the number and frequency of treatments that are recommended.
Please discuss with reception your preference of treatment for pregnancy massage when making an appointment.